Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Why I only like Gigantor Oranges


I never used to like oranges very much, they were small, regular, had big seeds, it was way too much work and not enough of a tasty reward. When orange peelers came out, I forced myself to like the fruit as an excuse to use the peeler. I hated getting my nails dirty with the taste of peel, I needed that tool. We lost all the peelers shortly thereafter, but my sister showed me how to peel it with a knife, and I was back at the task of eating oranges. Maybe if I ate enough I'd like them, shouldn't everyone should like oranges?

However, I was not satisfied. Why was I not eating a better juicier watermelon sized orange with pulp the size of fingers? Someone thought of the same thing and slowly big oranges started gaining popularity (in my family). That's when I decided to love oranges.

Florida oranges are a close second to what I imagine finger sized self contained detachable juice bags would be like. There's nothing like an orange that barely fits in your hand and has some good weight to it, so juicy you're forced to gulp after eating but half a seedless segment. I look for ones with another orange growing inside of it. Look for the orange's stretched belly button. (Today's was the size of an apricot.) That parasitic twin of an orange inside is surprisingly delectable.

The orange was soo good today I ate it in under 5 minute, I didn't even pause to take a picture, the one above is of a grapefruit. Maybe not so funny unless you know my average orange eating time is 30 minutes.

No comments: