Thursday, October 1, 2009

It's not that hard you guys.. it's just Reese's..

I had a hankering for peanut butter cups over the last Christmas holiday back home, which is pretty surprising considering I made ten varieties of cookies over two weeks, as well as truffle coated cherries (which the dog ate in it's entirety). So there I am, staring at my dad's extensive pantry, wondering if it's possible to make these little poppers.

Chocolate coating in little cups: doable with melted Callebaut chocolate disks and mini foil cups, both of which I had on hand. But.. what's in a Reese's peanut butter cup.. what's in the middle? Crisp and sweet, it can't just be PB. Let's ask Google.. a two second search tells me it's... wait for it... graham cracker crumbs! (gasp!) The stars had aligned in my father's kitchen, ingredients were on hand with my incurable craving. I was on a mission without a recipe.

what you'll need (I heart Bulk Barn):
Callebaut chocolate
graham cracker crumbs
tiny foil cups
peanut butter

First, I assembled endless mini foil cups on a baking sheet and refrigerated it, as to not give away what I was doing should anyone pop into my kitchen-lab.

Next, I melted little Callebaut chocolate disks on a makeshift double boiler. (A metal bowl placed over a pot of simmering water.)

Then I lined the cups with chocolate by dropping in a little spoonful, twirling and spreading it as necessary until the bottom and sides were thinly covered, and popped them into the refrigerator until hardened.

Meanwhile, I melted the pb and added crumbs until it was thick, but not instant-cookie thick. (ftw are instant cookies...) I kept in mind that pb will eventually harden, rendering my lil concoction to a paste like consistency wrapped in a thin hard cocoa shell. To prevent a dry mixture once hard, it needed a proper balance of crumbs. It's a bloody guessing game folks. Taste it in the process. Spoon into the lil cups, leaving enough room for a thin chocolate coating. Refrigerate until hard.

Melt more chocolate, yada yada yada, apply thin coat to the top of cups, and why haven't I posted a single picture yet. Refrigerate.


They're done when they feel cold and hard. I kept them in the fridge until an hour before serving them, thus protecting them from the choc eating German pointer beast.

He's in fact a super nice dog... as sweet as these homemade PB cups which the friends called "more addicting than the real thing". And there you have it, bite marks and all.