Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Food notes from abroad..

I recently received the first e-mail from a friend who has left Canada in search of a lengthy world experience. For a non-foodie friend who used to eat spaghetti 7 days out of seven, he wrote of such vigorous food thoughts that I could not mask my surprise at his bold statements and asked if I could post his message.

Such, his journey begins in New Zealand..

"So I've beem here 9 days now. On day 4, I met a British guy that wasn't really a foodie but was accustomed to eating good meals in his family. He asked me what I thought of the food here in NZ. I hadn't really thought about it too hard. I'd only tasted a few things. I shrugged and said it's alright. He said he thought it was bad. Just bad. Like everything tastes slightly different, but in a bad way. Since he said that, I started noticing it everywhere. I've hardly had a good meal. I've purchased a few meals that looked amazing but turned out to be mediocre or even just plain bad. What's the concensus among foodies? Is NZ known for bad food? What doesn't taste like shit here?

Thanks,"

Uhm, bold statement, P. Since I haven't traveled there I don't have an opinion, but surely it's not ALL bad, right? Must have tapped into his foodie sense, so far I've received nothing but food related e-mails, all escalating in hilarity and sounding more and more like a cry for help. I'll try and find you something.

No comments: