Thursday, July 8, 2010

Home Food Check List - Café Archibald



The first time I went to Café Archibald was maybe fifteen years ago. I was with the oldest of my big brothers, because I wasn't old enough to hang out with my friends alone at a coffee shop, let alone be drinking or liking coffee flavored things. I remember the menu being made of paper and having paper-hole-punches in the shape of an escargo. That's snail for you english folk. And that's all I remember.

Since that day, I imagined it being a place created just for me. Ok, no, but I loved the atmosphere with small intimate tables, dimly lit spaces next to the open counter of a kitchen, and the glass half wall that lets you look onto the chefs creating the Café's specialty: crepes.

It's certainly come a long way, but the main elements of their menu have remained unchanged, other than the addition of a solid couple pages of item. The two most ordered dishes (by me) are crepes of the savory kind (comes with house "amazingly dressed" salad) and the sweet dessert crepes.

You can order the savories by picking through their vast list of healthy ingredients and less healthy but vastly tasty sauces & cheeses or sifting through their pre-fab suggestions.

(spinach, chicken, tomatoes and hollandaise)

The same selection process applies with the sweeter crepes, but because the crepe base is the same as the savory crepe, we collectively find it's best to choose a singular sweet ingredient. This way, you can enjoy the pure delicateness of the crepe itself. The lone chosen ingredient will most likely compliment the crepe and let you rip it apart with your hands instead of creating a giant freakin tasty mess, like my rookie friends recently did.


(Banana Split Crepe)

My personal favorites:
Savory - tomatoes, asparagus, mushrooms and hollandaise sauce
Sweet - blueberry jammy, light not too sweet but oh so drippy chocolate sauce on the side, or maple butter.

..

Then there are the beverages. Coffee houses have coffee, but I dare you not to be tempted by their grandma's hot chocolate (bowl), true lattes (bowl), iced mocha (with real chocolate thicker than mousse whipped cream), or pressed on the spot lemonade.

(iced mocha)

Whatever your pleasure already is, you're sure to find new ones at Café Archibald, along with the curious need to stay until closing time, musing over life issues you figure the table next to you can't hear because they're too wrapped up in their own life altering conversations.

Here are pictures of some olden days daily specials, just for kicks.

(shrimp pizza)
(salad with oats and a yogurty dressing??... it was good.)


"What's is there in New-Brunswick??" "Guy!! Everything is in N.-B. You're on the On Notice list."

No comments: