Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Forbidden Rice Krispies

You've gotta love grocery shopping in the States if you're into sugary snacks.

I was always into the plain old-style cereal like wheatabix and plain Shredded Wheat, but luckily my sister's fondness for Fruit Loops and Cap'n Crunch changed my views. Mmm.. sweet syrupy leftover milk.. best after a bowl of Alphabits or Honeycombs (Honeycomb's BIG, ya ya ya, it's not small, ...). Before that, the only sugary cereal I remember was at my grandparents house. My dad's mom kept a heavy stash of Strawberry Shortcake cereal that turned your milk strawberry flavored neon pink (my favorite discontinued cereal to this day), and my mom's mom made sure my cereal was bad underneath the surface. She'd always use 3.5% milk and put at least two spoonfuls of sugar with those Rice Krispies.. maybe that's why I was a quiet kid the rest of the time, not much sugar!!

The best cereal I could find after my childhood was in France. My host family didn't think I liked any of their weird yummy food so they kept whipping out these chocolate items, and out cam the chocolate Rice Krispies that transform your milk into chocolate milk. They combined the loud cereal every kid likes with the magic bunny power of Quik! That moment was seared into my memory and I I found them one day in the States.. along with a berry flavoured version. Mmmm..
I treasured them for so long they're now expired. argh.

4 comments:

Cory said...

I just wanted to drop a boring psychology truth on you, something I picked up in an Abnormal Psych. class on ADHD:

Controlled experiments show that sugar intake does not actually have an effect on making kids "hyper".

It's just one of the many psych myths floating around. Now you know... (fill in the rest yourself).

PS You left out my favourite, now available in Canada, "Cookie Crisp". They don't even hide the fact that it's miniature freakin' cookies in your bowl.

Brad said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mseqnGqn93Q

Haha You can tell this commercials era just by imagining it fitting between an epic battle between optimus prime and megatron, or rainbow brite doing whatever the heck she did :P

-M- said...

What is it with you guys and the Cookie Crisps!! The chocolate chips are so teeny. That box expired too the last time I got them in the States.

Brad said...

i was not a big fan of the Cookie Crisp, but perhaps that was the lack of exposure. I never got the good "shit" until i was out on my own. Although i did get a good sampling of the cinnamon bun cereal... i forget what it was called, but it was pretty good.